History - Our 75th Year: Bright Future, Proud Past
The original Holy Cross Church was established and blessed on July 6th, 1913 and has been serving South Portland Catholics since then. Holy Cross School was established during the tenure of the church’s second pastor, the Reverend Frederick A. Karpe. Holy Cross school was staffed by the Sisters of Mercy.
The church was rebuilt due to parish growth and on September 15th, 1957 using the same cornerstone from the original church building, the new building was blessed and underway. The church as it stands today was dedicated on September 14th, 1958. Holy Cross later built a convent for the Sisters of Mercy completed in 1963.
When Holy Cross School opened in 1937, the Sisters of Mercy welcomed about 100 students.
Holy Cross School is the parish school to serve children of parishoners from Holy Cross (South Portland), St. John's (South Portland), St. Maximillian-Kolbe (Scarborough) and St. Bartholomew (Cape Elizabeth).